Everest Base Camp trek
14 days out of your daily schedule, heart thrilling out of excitement and your bags packed to leave the daily hustle in order to have a trip to view the top of the world from its lap must sound alluring. It is indeed quite rare for reality to meet up with your expectations. But in this case, no matter how high your expectations from the Himalayas, the nature might be; the reality will surprisingly take over.
This trek is an opportunity for all of you to get lost in the beauty of nature. Shut each of your responsibilities out, shut each of your problems out and just live the fresh air close to the mountains; to have a once in a lifetime experience. There are numerous trekking options in Nepal, but Everest Base Camp trek has something very pure that makes it different and the best.
Presenting Everest Base Camp Trek , being undeniably one of the most adventurous treks in the world, attracts a lot of trekkers every year. This trek provides you with magnificently comforting view of the mountains, villages, glaciers and an opportunity to explore the classic lifestyle and culture of the Himalayan Sherpas.
The closer you get to the top of the world, more will your heart be filled with gratitude towards everything around you, including yourself.
This adventurous tour of yours starts with a half an hour flight from Kathmandu to Lukla, the gateway to Everest. Though this sounds like a usual flight, we can strongly state that it is not! Alighting to a place to start an adventurous tour, having to touchdown one of the world’s smallest and the most dangerous airport with the courage to see the one and only Mount Everest makes the flight special than any other flights. You shall start your actual journey from Lukla through forests and nature with jaw-dropping surrounding filled with vibrantly blooming rhododendrons, close view of the snow-capped mountains, glaciers and the list goes on.
Along with being able to explore the beauty of nature and well known towns like Namche Bazar, Dingboche, Tengboche, etc.; exploration of the local Sherpa culture while stopping for night is very startling. Each stop, each village surprises you with excitingly different and unique lifestyle; being untouched by the outside modern world.
As a closure, one can strongly state that Everest Base Camp Trek is not just about the destination; the path and the experience is other-worldly, offering you the best days of your life, and leaving you with a bag full of memories.
Total Distance: About 97 miles or 156 km
Days: 14 days (flexible)
Highest Point: Kalapathar, 5500m
Difficulty: Moderately Difficult
Permits: Two permits required namely
- Sagarmatha National Park Permit
- Solukhumbu Regional Permit
Guide and Porter: Provided
Accommodation: Hotel and Lodge (prepared)
Highlights of the Tour:
• Touchdown one of the smallest and most dangerous airport of the world is an adventure in itself.
• Exploration of the untouched culture and lifestyle of the local mountain Sherpas.
• Comfortingly soothing view of the undeniably majestic top of the world.
• Stand tall at the lap of Mount Everest, Kalapathar at a height of 5500m with a panoramic view of the undisputed beauty of the Everest.
• Plus point of astonishing view of other peaks such as Mount Makalu, Mount Lhotse, etc.
• Calming view of the highest glacier in the world, Khumbu Glacier with a height of 4900m.
• Opportunity to visit the largest monastery of the Khumbu region; Tengboche Monastery, holding a strong spiritual value, and surrounded by a Himalayan vista of various peaks like Mount Everest, Mount Nuptse, Mount Lhotse, and the list goes on.
• Travel through Sagarmatha National Park, being one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites, is immensely rich with flora and fauna.
• Colorful prayer flags, the vibrancy of places like Namche Bazar, witnessing the movement of fauna like snow-leopard, musk deer, etc. brings a satisfyingly out-of-the-world feeling.
Cost for the Entire Tour:
We are here to provide you the best experience with a good quality and an affordable price. Being a two weeks long trip to view the Mount Everest with various facilities like food, accommodation, guides and everything to be managed, this tour is indisputably not a cheap one. The services covered and uncovered by our costs are provided below:
• Airport and Hotel - pick and drop service.
• Two nights stay at a luxurious hotel in Kathmandu, before and after your trek.
• Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner for the entire trekking journey.
• Lodging accommodations for the entire trek.
• Fresh fruits.
• Everest Trekking-route Map.
• Domestic flight from Kathmandu to Lukla and then back to Kathmandu with tax.
• Professional guide to provide you with necessary guidance.
• Porter to carry your full backpack.
• First aid kit.
• Salary, food, accommodation for guide and porter.
• Required Trekking Permit.
• Rescue Arrangements.
• Government vat and taxes.
• Meals in Kathmandu.
• Travel Insurance.
• International flight fare.
• Nepal on-arrival visa.
• Personal Trekking Requirements.
• Personal shopping.
• All kinds of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
Note: You may contact the respected authority for a detailed cost of the trek.
How difficult is the Everest Base Camp Trek?
We, Encounters Nepal, keep safety at the topmost position during any tour related to us. Though Everest Base Camp Trek is quite a long trek of 14 days, it is appropriate for people with average fitness level and no special skills or hard training is expected from any of the trekkers. Since the trek takes you to a highest altitude of 5500m, some pre cardio and leg related exercises and activities to boost up your stamina is highly recommended. With the proper supervision of our professional tour guides, trekkers without former trekking experience should not have any hesitations related to the tour or their capability. Drinking a lot of water or fluids and being slow but consistent throughout the tour is a trick to make this trek successful without any inconvenience. So, with proper guidance, adequate fluid, courage and desire to have a glimpse of the top of the world, you shall certainly complete this challenging but a rewarding trek.
Best Time for the Everest Base Camp Trek:
Talking about the relationship between weather and convenience, we can obviously not expect a warm trek at any time of the year. But seasons matter a lot.
• Spring and Autumn:
The most favorable seasons to have a trek to the Everest Base Camp are the pre monsoon and post monsoon time period. In spite of a little busy environment in these seasons; offering suitable temperature, less chances of troublesome snowfall and little or no rain; the months February to May and late September to December is indeed the best time to visit the Everest Base Camp.
Inviting landslides and constant rain; Monsoon is not much favorable season to have a trek, especially if you cannot manage a wet muddy hike. Though the amount of rain is observed to be decreasing as you approach the destination or as you move to a higher altitude, June to early September is not a perfect time to visit the Everest Base Camp.
With freezing cold temperature, not much trekker prefers to visit the Everest Base Camp during the winter. In spite of the excellent view of mountains due to a clear sky, the months December, January and February demands trekkers to be extra prepared for the cold.
Food and Accommodation for the Entire Tour:
For your stay at Kathmandu for the nights before and after the trek, you shall stop over at luxurious hotel. Variety of cuisines like western, continental or others can be found in Kathmandu. Thamel, the tourist hub, provides you with various stalls, restaurants, pubs, cafes, etc. where you can celebrate your successful rewarding trek during the end of the tour.
Except for Kathmandu:
You can feel free to keep your expectations high with the Himalayas and the nature. But when it comes to food and accommodation, don’t get your expectations too high. We shall stop over at lodges; lodges are basically a place to stay for the night and to freshen up in the morning. While you might see luxurious lodges around Namche Bazar, remember that luxury is limited up to Namche Bazar only.
Higher the altitude, simpler is the room. With the purpose to just stay for the night, no luxury should be expected.
• Bathroom and Shower:
As per our accommodation plan, lodges shall provide you with hot shower and a fine bathroom.
• Electricity and Charging Plots:
Up to Namche Bazar, electricity can be found with 50 Megahertz capacity. So, power adapter of 50 Megahertz is recommended. Above Namche, electricity is provided through solar panel and for that, universal travel adapter is recommended.
Namche Bazar has a variety of places to drop by for food. But while moving upwards, we shall be having our meal at the lodge where we stay. The food shall be lodge cooked and is to be chosen from a provided menu.
• Toasted Bread (provides varieties)
• Eggs (provides varieties)
• Bread and Pancake (provides varieties)
•Porridge (provides varieties)
• Also have breakfast set options for American, Continental etc.
• Rice Meals (provides varieties)
• Noodles (provides varieties)
• Momo- dumplings (provides varieties)
• Pasta and Macaronis (provides varieties)
• Pizza and Sandwiches (provides varieties)
• Spaghetti (provides varieties)
• Includes other options like potatoes, etc.
- Dinner: Offers the same menu as lunch.
• Hot lemon
• Hot orange
• Hot water with sliced ginger
• Coffee (though caffeine intake is not suggested during a trek)
• Variety of cold drinks is also offered.
- Water: The lodge provides boiled water. If you are not a fan of boiled water, you can carry purification tablets with yourself or can buy mineral water bottles available in every lodge.
Note: The variety of menu narrows down as you move towards higher altitude.
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu.
With your arrival in Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, pick and drop facility to the hotel shall be provided by one of our representatives. [Overnight at Hotel]
Day 02: Fly from Kathmandu to Lukla, followed by a trek to Phakding.
After a short flight from Kathmandu to Lukla, you shall trek your way up to Phakding, a small village in the Khumbu region, at an altitude of 2,610 m. It takes approximately 4 hours to reach the destination, covering 9 km. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 03: Trek to Namche Bazar.
For the third day, you shall have a trek to Namche Bazar, the gateway to Mount Everest, at an altitude of 3,440 m. It takes approximately 6 hours to reach the destination, covering 12 km. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 04: Acclimatization Day.
This day includes zero hours of trek, except for a potential walk up to Everest View Hotel.
Day 5: Trek from Namche Bazar to Tengboche.
The 5th day ends up with an approximately 6 hours trek up to Tengboche, a village lying at an altitude of 3,860 m, covering 10 km walking. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 6: Trek from Tengboche to Dingboche.
Covering 12 km walking, this day ends up with approximately 7 hours trek up to Dingboche, a Sherpa village lying at an altitude of 4,410 m. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 7: Acclimatization Day in Dingboche.
With zero hours hike on the 7th day, you shall explore the astounding village of Dingboche itself. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 8: Trek from Dingboche to Lobuche.
With a 7 hours trek covering 12 km up to Lobuche, a small settlement resting at an altitude of 4,940 m, the day shall come to an end. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 9: Trek to Gorakshep and explore Everest Base Camp.
With an 8 hours trek up to Gorakshep, a frozen lake covered with sand, resting at an altitude of 5,164 m; and with exploring the Everest Base Camp, the day shall come to an end. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 10: Trek to Pheriche via Kalapathar.
The 10th day includes an 8 hours trek to Pheriche, resting at an altitude of 4,371 m, via Kalapathar for a good vista. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 11: Trek to Tengboche.
With a trek from Pheriche to Tengboche, lying at an altitude of 3,860 m, the 11th day comes to an end. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 12: Trek to Namche Bazar.
Covering almost 6 km from Tengboche to Namche Bazar resting at an altitude of 3,440m, you shall move towards the end of the tour. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 13: Trek from Namche Bazar to Lukla.
After approximately 8 hours of trek from Namche Bazar covering 15 km, you shall reach Lukla and spend the night there. [Overnight at Lodge]
Day 14: Flight to Kathmandu.
Followed by a short flight from Lukla to Kathmandu, you shall spend one of the most memorable nights of your tour in Kathmandu. [Overnight at Hotel]
Day 15: Final Departure.
Your trip shall end after a drop off at the Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport by one of our representatives.
Equipment and Clothing Essentials for Everest Base Camp Trek:
With years of experience in this field, we are here to provide every one of the necessary information regarding the trip including what to pack and what not to pack.
• Hiking Clothes:
Since your body gets warm during the hike, lightweight clothes that dry quickly are recommended for it. Suggestions:
• Two pairs of pants with an option to convert it into shorts.
• Two full sleeve t-shirts with a quality of quick dry.
• Five to six pairs of warm clothes.
• Five to six pairs of quickly drying inner wears.
• Lodge Clothes:
Since it is very cold during the night time, you need to keep yourself as warm as possible.
• One fleece sweater and pant.
• Warm thermals.
• Waterproof down jacket
• Neck warmer
• Sleeping Bag (to be protected from cold and sleep warmly).
Hiking with sneakers is the worst decision ever. You need to grab a pair of comfortable sturdy shoes in order to have a successful trek.
• Other gears:
• Head lamp: Since you might have to hike during the morning or at night, head lamp is a must.
• Sunglasses: Essential to keep your eyes cool.
• Toiletries: Wipes, tissue papers, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.
• Sunscreen: Sunscreen is a must to prevent sunburn.
• Trekking Poles: This helps you during both ascending and descending walk.
You need to carry two backpacks for the trek.
• Day time pack:
Since you are supposed to carry your valuable essentials with yourself in a backpack, a backpack of capacity 25 to 30 l storing 5-7 kg is recommended.
• Full backpack:
For the remaining of your stuffs, you are recommended to carry a backpack with a capacity of 65 to 75 l, which shall be carried by the porter.
• Medications and others:
For possible cough, headache, dizziness due to toughness to adapt to the high altitude, painkillers will help.
• Water Purifier:
Since the water is not hygienic and if you are not a fond of boiled water served by lodges, water purifier is a savior.
• Only carry the essentials:
You are not expected to carry any luxurious items or extra gadgets.
Pro Tip: One of the preparations for the Everest Base Camp Trek would be getting prepared mentally for the jaw dropping vistas. Do come with all of your heart for a heart-warming once in a lifetime experience.
Required Trekking Permit:
We used to require three trekking permits earlier including the TIMS (Trekker Information Management System) permit. But now, we just need two permits, for which you will require your passport, namely:
• Sagarmatha National Part Entry Permit:
This permit can be purchased at Monjo, on the trek or in Kathmandu itself at the Tourist Information Center. It costs NRs 3000.
• Solukhumbu Regional Permit:
This local permit can be purchased from Lukla and costs NRs 2000.
Baggage Weight Limit for Lukla Flight:
The baggage weight limit for the flight to Lukla is 15 kg per person including Hand carry.
Guide and Porter for the trek:
We are here to facilitate you with our professional guides with years of experience in this field. Even if this is your first trekking experience and you are nervous for it, you no more have to worry about it because we got you covered! Our guides provide you with the best information and tricks with honesty and politeness throughout the trek.
For the trek, the weight limit is 9 kg per person. Carriers shall be assigned to carry two of you trekkers’ baggage, carrying maximum of 18 kg, 9 kg per trekker. A backpack with your valuable essentials should be carried by yourself.
We are here for you!
Entertaining treks since a very long time, we are here to provide you with quality services in an affordable price range. With our group of experienced workforce and professional guides, we aim to make this tour the best days of your life. For any further queries, we are just a single tap away!